BTN – Pluto

Facts

Questions

Insigts

This BTN was about Pluto, and why a group of scientists want it to become a planet again.

Pluto was discovered in 1930. Back then when they first discovered it, it was a planet. In 2006 Pluto was classified a dwarf planet. Basically, a dwarf planet is celestial body, that is too small to be classified as a planet.

Pluto is actually smaller than our moon and a couple other ones. It’s about 1/6th the size of Earth in diameter, making it 2,302 kilometres long. About 151 Pluto can fit inside of earth.

Some scientists want to call Pluto a planet again. Along with a lot of other celestial bodies. In fact these scientists want there to be 109 planets. They say the definition of a planet should be about it’s features and what you can find on the surface, stuff like that. That would make Pluto and our own Moon a planet!

Two questions were, does that mean we would have more planets in our Solar System or just more planets near us? Also if the moon became a planet, would we still call it our moon.

I think that their new definition of a planet makes more sense. I’m not completely sure yet, but I think it makes sense to have it be about the features of the planet.