Dear Ant…

Dear Ant,

My name is Brynn and I am 11 years old. I will be turning 12 on the 18th of May this year. My favourite subjects are reading, writing, and speaking and listening! I came to this school in year 4 from America, but I definitely like Australia better (but don’t tell my friends in America!) My favourite colours are blue, teal, and pink. My favourite book is a book called the book thief that I started and finished this year. It is a book set in Nazi Germany and is about a girl who finds a love of reading and steals books. I won’t spoil it for you but it has a lot of death in it, so if you don’t like that stuff, I wouldn’t recommend it.  At the moment I am reading the hunger games though.

Okay so that’s enough about random little facts about me I wanted to get out there. Now I’ll talk a bit about my holidays. Most of my holidays took place in Tasmania. Tasmania has the freshest air on earth. If you didn’t know, Tasmania is famous for it’s nature and beautiful sights. We visited a lot of places in the two weeks we were there. Some really memorable sights were; a forest that we visited with massive trees. It took a very long time to hike but we got ice cream in the end. It was very beautiful there. The Nut was a high hill, that we took a chair lift up. We saw wallabies at the top as well. There was many beaches we visited too so we had sand everywhere by the end. At one point we camped so close to a beach, it took 5 seconds to walk there! It was called White Sand beach. Those were some highlights. Here are a couple photos we took.Some of them weren’t from White Sand beach, The Nut, and the forest but they were still fun.

After we got back from Tasmania, we didn’t do much. We had 2 weeks left and nothing to do but go to the pool. Eventually, I got into loom bands. It was a great way to pass the time. I wouldn’t call my self an expert, but I made some cool loom bands! Here are some that I made; Bon Bon BraceletRainbow Loom Fishtail Pattern – Instructables Rainbow Loom Starburst BraceletBasic Rainbow Loom Bracelet.

The holidays are over now, so there is a lot too think about school, and lot’s of things we wanted to improve and get better at. I’m excited to learn and to get to know some of the year 5’s that I won’t see next year. We do a lot of goal setting at school, but I think it’s a great system to make us think about how we would like to become better leaders and just people in general. I’m confident at some subjects and things, but of course everyone has room for improvement. I think knowing someone else’s goals is good as well because then you could help them and remind them about things. This is why I’d like to share some of my goals.

• To listen to the teacher more. Maybe it doesn’t seem like it, but a lot of the time I zone out if something is too hard for me or boring. Sometimes this can be bad because it might be something important that I needed to listen to.
  • To try and become less sensitive. I would call myself a very sensitive person. Sometimes this is good, I can easily help others who may be sad or upset or apologise if I’ve done something wrong because I know where they are coming from, but personally I think this is a bad trait. I don’t like the feeling of getting everything I want just because I got upset, or feel my face burning just because the teacher told me I got the answer wrong. Of course when I look back on these situations, I think; Oh at least I tried. No one can get everything right. But while these things are taking place, I want to just hide so that no one can see me, although I know no one cares. The reason that I’m not afraid to share this is because it’s something I know others may know about and in the end it’s not too embarrassing to share it. My goal is to try to see the situations as if it’s a couple hours later and I’m over it. To think; Ah well, I tried and that’s okay. Or, well you can’t get everything in life.
  • To think before I act. Although this may seem easy this goal is very difficult at times. When I’m in the moment, I don’t think. I know many people that are very careful about those things but I am not. When I look back at the things I said or did, I feel very bad. I think that’s a good thing though. That I look back at these moments and feel regret. It’s very important that you care for others, but now all I need to work on, is not starting the problems in the first place.
  • To not be as hard on myself. I notice that I am very hard on myself with several different situations. Sports, subjects I’m not very confident, and just in general. This is something that should help me with my confidence and leadership

Those are somethings that I’d like to improve on, but of course there are things I love about myself and am confident on. Things like my reading, my writing, my public speaking, etc. It’s important to have things that you want to improve on and you are confident with. This year I am excited to complete my goals and find new things I love to do.

Sincerely,

-Brynn

2 thoughts on “Dear Ant…

1. Brynn,
    thank you for this engaging and thoughtful piece-it was a delight to read and helped me understand so much about you. “The Book Thief” is a wonderful book, and I hear it an excellent movie as well- what do you think about watching movies made out of books you love? (The Hunger Games is another example of this!). Have you read the book “Once”? If you liked “The Book Thief”, I think you’d also like this series.
    It sounds like you had a fantastic holiday. I loved the photos you included-you look like you are having a ball. Is that Port Arthur in one of them? We are learning about Australian history this term-the stories you heard about the convict while you were there will help you understand what we are learning- it would be great for you to share it with the rest of the class.
    I was particularly impressed by your mature self-reflection. Being able to identify such personal areas that you can improve is something many adults find difficult, and, as you so astutely pointed out, setting goals like this is a powerful and effective way to make improvements happen- so well done. I would really like to talk to you about how I can support you to achieve them.
    Great work Brynn,
    Ant

2. Wow Brynn,
    Your letter is really good. It sounded like you had a ball in Tasmania.
    We actually have a bit in common. For example, my 2 favorite colours are teal and blue. That picture of you and the waterfall is soooo pretty.