Term 3 unit reflection.

This term we learnt a lot about natural disasters and extreme weather. Three things that I learnt that were interesting and surprising were that floods have bacteria, parasites, and chemicals in them, so touching it could make you ill. I also learnt about impersonal voice, and that you can’t use words like; you, me, I, us, we. Finally I learnt about 3 tier language. 1 tier language are the golden words like, then and me. 2 tier language are adjectives, and 3 tier language are specific words like; earthquakes or tsunamis.

Two understandings I had were that floods can be very dangerous and that natural disasters can be either very dangerous or not dangerous at all.

Something I am still wondering is if  any type natural disaster can be prevented and gotten rid of for good.

We didn’t do any work in partners or groups, so I don’t have any group work to reflect.

I learnt a lot about all types of natural disasters. their features, how to protect yourself, and much more. I learnt this from my own research and from the lessons that we did. I can use this information to teach others about the natural disasters I know about, like earthquakes.

On my assessment matrix, I believe that I did everything pretty well. One thing that I struggled with was impersonal voice. Impersonal voice is using voice in your writing with out using words like; me, you, us, we, etc. My type of style with information reports is to use impersonal voice, so I had to go back and change it all.

My goal was to understand key extreme weather terms, including:

Seismograph, Tectonic plates, Fault, Elastic rebound, Seismic waves, Body waves, Surface waves, Focus, Epicenter, Compressional stress, Tensional stress, Shear stress, Foreshocks, Aftershocks, Tsunamis.

I know a lot of words like these, but I don’t understand all of then. I think this is because I didn’t do my research on tsunamis and earthquakes, so I didn’t understand the words.