BTN

Facts:

1. King Jon upset the barons so much they created a document call Magna Carta
  2. Some of the things on the Magna Carta were not raising taxes, respecting the church, and a fair trial by jury.
  3. The Declaration of Independence (An American document) was inspired by the Magna Carta

Understandings:

1. The barons were going broke with all the taxes Jon was giving them which was making them angry
  2. The Magna Carta inspired the peaceful and respectful world we live in today.

Question:

How high did Jon raise the taxes?

Summary Text:

This week’s BTN was about a document called the Magna Carta that inspired Human rights. I learned a lot more about it and it was really fascinating. There was a king named Jon who was hated amongst his kingdom. He was always raising the taxes so the barons forced him to sign a document called the Magna Carta which is currently 800 years old. The Magna Carta had promises on there like: not raising taxes, respecting the church, and making sure everyone had a fair trial. This inspired the Declaration of independence which is an American document stating rights and values. From this BTN I could understand that the barons were going broke with all the taxes they were paying and that the Magna Carta created the world we live in today. I understood all of that but I’m still wondering how high Jon raised the taxes? It had to be a lot since they made him promise to lots of stuff.